To administer the veterinary statutes with the highest degree of integrity, competency and efficiency, commensurate with the professional standards of veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
To examine and determine the qualifications and fitness of applicants to practice general veterinary medicine or any specialty area thereof, and the certification of veterinary technicians; to issue, renew, deny, suspend or revoke licenses or certificates or otherwise discipline veterinarians and veterinary technicians; to conduct investigations on persons practicing veterinary medicine without a license.
- Evaluate applicant qualifications for licensure as a veterinarian and certification as a veterinary technician.
- Administer the Written State Board Examination to all qualified veterinary applicants.
- Grant a license to those veterinarians who pass the Written State Board Examination and otherwise qualify.
- Annually renew all veterinary licenses and veterinary technician certificates.
- Monitor mandatory continuing education requirements of all licensees who are in active practice.
- Investigate complaints from the general public alleging violations of the Veterinary Medical Practice Act and Regulations, and take disciplinary action when appropriate.
- Hold formal hearings when necessary.